Wednesday 3 June 2015

A Suitor for the Princess - Chapter 20



        Nancy slowly got upset with Norman’s workaholic and controlling nature and frustrated with her own life.  She now wanted to resume her career.  Angel was now a 14 year old bright-eyed, sweet teenager and Merci was a strapping lad of 10. 
        One fine day, she just said quietly “Norman, I’m walking out!” Baffled, he looked at her wondering whether his ears were playing tricks on him.  “I beg your pardon?” he said.
        Calmly, she repeated her statement.  Unable to comprehend why she was acting so strangely, he took her hand in his and stroked it lovingly.  “May I ask why you’ve suddenly come to this decision, dear?” He could see that her beautiful eyes were troubled.
        “Norman, I haven’t ‘suddenly’ come to this decision.  It is a well-thought over decision.  I’ve realized that the marriage, our marriage has become a one-track one.  I’m almost like a single mother.  You are away most of the time and very busy.  You don’t have any time for any one of us.  I want to pursue my career too.  You’ve never ever suggested that I continue it”, she said, barely concealing the sarcasm in her voice.  “Do I even exist for you, apart from the times that you need me in bed?”
        “But I thought that you were very happy being a mother and a wife.  Did I ever stop you from doing anything that you wanted?” he asked petulantly.
        “But you never showed any interest in my career, did you?  You have been just taking me for granted all these years.  I want a divorce!”
        Norman was looking at her, in growing consternation, wondering what was wrong with his sweet wife.  As he rose to hug her, she backed off and broke down, crying pathetically.  He held her firmly and soothed her, by stroking her soft hair that she had trimmed to a blunt-cut to make it more manageable.
        “Can’t we try again, Nancy?  I love you.  I admit that I’ve not been a very good husband or father, but I do care for all of you.  I want us to be a family.  I promise that I’ll try my best to make our marriage work!”
        She had given in then.  But a month later, there was no improvement in the status quo.  Try as he would, Norman couldn’t manage to give them the requisite ‘family time’ that they all yearned for.  Hence when Nancy coolly handed him the divorce papers for his signature, he mutely signed them and sat down heavily on the sofa.  “One last hug?” he pleaded.  Nancy hugged him dispassionately.  He knew then, that it was really over.  He let her have the flat and a handsome alimony, bade a tearful good-bye to his matter-of-fact adolescent children and left his ‘home’ to stay in a rented place.  The fairy-tale wedding had come to a naught!
        Then onwards, he had immersed himself in his work.  He rarely came home.  He hated going to that empty flat where memories of his family haunted him mercilessly.
                                    *************************
        Now, automatically, his thoughts drifted to his present.  Martha! Yes, she was his present.  A gift from heaven!  He cursed himself that he hadn’t really noticed her earlier.  They had been professionally associated since 10 years and he had never noticed her!  Never noticed her as a woman, that is!  Oh, what a woman she was!  Kind, strong and independent.  Intelligent to boot!
        Now that Nancy was fast asleep, he decided to hop across to the study and call his beloved.  His heart raced with excitement even as he feverishly dialed her cell number.  His fingers quivered like an adolescent dialing his first crush’s number.  She didn’t respond immediately.  He kept dialing till he heard her strong ‘Hello’ on the fifth ring. 
        “Hello darling! This is Norman here.  How are things with you there?  Do you miss me?  I’m missing you a lot.  Just waiting to be with you!”
        “How’s Nancy?  I know that she must be having a tough time, but with you around, she has at least some moral support.  How are your children?  Do they stay with Nancy or elsewhere?”
        “Martha, please hold your horses and ask one question at a time,” he laughed and told her, as he savored the pleasant twang of her soft voice.
        He couldn’t have imagined how pleased Martha was, to be disturbed from her sleep at midnight!  The man in her dreams had woken her up and was actually speaking with her.  What more could she want?  No wonder, her words tumbled out of her mouth, hastily. 
        “Well, you’re right.  Go on, please,” she ordered in a mock-strict tone.
        Norman briefed her about Nancy’s chemo-therapy sessions, hospital visits, her debility, her and depression. He even told her that she stayed all alone as their daughter aged 27 had married and stayed in New York and their son, aged 23 was pursuing his post-graduation at Harvard.
        “You’ll be amazed to know that I’m a grand-father.  I didn’t even know that my daughter is mother to 5-year old twin boys, Ben and Ken.  You see, Nancy and I hadn’t really kept in touch, more so, because Nancy wouldn’t ever respond to my phone calls after our divorce and after 2-3 years, I gave up inquiring entirely.  It was too emotionally exhausting for me! ”
        “I understand,” Martha said sympathetically. Norman was bowled over by her empathy.  She was curious but not irritatingly inquisitive.  He liked women who didn’t encroach on his personal space; or breathe down his neck all the while.
        “When will you be back, Norman?  I want to have a long chat with you.  By the way, I’d been to your office.  Looks like your secretary fancies you!  She wasn’t very forthcoming about my queries and refused my help.  She’s independent and capable all right.  But methinks, a little too snobbish for me!  What do you think?”
        “Oh, Dorothy!  She’s just being herself.  It suits me if she fancies me!  I can get all my work done in a jiffy.  By the way, I’m not involved with her at all.  I share a strictly Boss-Employee relationship with her!”
        Phew! Martha was relieved.  His next words had her up in arms.  “Jealous?” ”Who, me?  I couldn’t care less!  Well …… Yes, a wee bit, and nervous too!”  She laughed into the receiver.
        “Well, you can relax, dear!  I’m all yours!  Just give me some time.  Let Nancy heal and then we’ll decide about our future.  Martha, you are my future.  Please understand that.  Please take care of your self and be a good girl!” so saying, he hung up. 
                                                ***************************
        Martha was ecstatic.  She was wide awake and just couldn’t sleep, thinking about their telephonic conversation.  “Our future” he’d said.  She was optimistic about having a fairy-tale future!
        She made herself a cup of coffee.  Then unable to reign in her excitement, sat down to write.

To be continued.... 

The copyright of this novel is with Mrs. Priya Ramesh Swaminathan.


***********************************************************************************            

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please send constructive feedback only.