Saturday 27 February 2016

A Suitor for the Princess - Chapter 53



        He administered an injection to her and she immediately woke up as if from a deep sleep. Confused at the unfamiliar couch where she lay, she looked about her and saw Dr. Hussey and was astounded. Wasn’t she watching a movie in a theater? How had she come here? Was she dreaming? She blinked and looked askance on him. He looked wan and concerned. Surely, she was the cause of his worry. Her brows knitted with consternation.
       “Dr. Hussey?” she began tentatively. “How come I’m here? I was last watching a movie in a theater, if I remember correctly. Then she remembered how she had panicked on seeing the one-eyed pirate in the movie and started passing out. She was very embarrassed as she could feel the Doctor just watching her in stony silence. She stammered, “I, I recollect everything now Doctor. I’m so sorry to have put you to so much trouble. It is totally my fault.”
        She struggled to get up from the narrow couch, acutely aware that the Doctor was taking in each move of hers, keenly. She could now see him frowning. No doubt, he was annoyed. With every passing minute, Martha’s consternation grew, as his silence became very unbearable. She could feel his annoyance in his demeanor. Of course, he was too polite to voice it. He just moved away from her side and began gathering the papers from his desk and filling them in his sleek, brown briefcase. She wondered whether they included her case-papers too!
        Surely she was becoming an unmanageable patient. She wouldn’t be surprised if he shunned her thenceforth. After all, a patient ought to obey her Doctor! Knowing her predisposition to faint on seeing one-eyed men, she had gone off to see a movie filled with pirates. She should have known better. Right since her childhood, she had been fascinated by the one-eyed pirates who wore black leather patches over an eye and looted ships on high seas. She would often ask her mother whether they could see as well as the ones with both eyes intact or have half-vision! Now she had ventured foolishly to see her ‘childhood idols’ and been amply punished for it. The benevolent doctor was punishing her further by just refusing to talk to her.    
        She started sobbing softly and then bawling like a baby. In a jiffy, the Doctor was by her side with a glass of water in his hand. He simply said, “Here, have this Martha, you’ll feel better. The next time you do decide to watch a movie on pirates, kindly have me for your company.” She could see the corners of his eyes slightly crinkling in amusement. His voice was grave but held a hint of mirth. In fact, she felt that he would burst out in a loud fit of laughter any time. She felt wretched. She hated anyone laughing at her plight. She wouldn’t have been able to bear his mirth. She looked as haughtily at him as she could manage and said stonily, “I’ll keep that in mind, Doctor. I’m once again sorry for having put you to so much trouble. I’ll ensure that it doesn’t happen again. I’ll take your leave now. Good night.”
          “I’d allow you to go home, if it wasn’t quite so late. It is 11 p.m. Martha. I’m afraid that you’ll have to come to my house and be my guest tonight. You can use my guest-room.” As she stared at him, he said gently, “I’m not a wolf, Martha. I’m a Doctor. I’ll take care of you. Trust me.” She felt ashamed that he had guessed her not so subtle thoughts.
        “I… I could check into a hotel for the night, Doctor. I don’t want to trouble you any further,” she said, appearing contrite. “Nothing doing, dear! I can’t possibly rush there too if anything happens to you. I value a good night’s sleep. Besides, I think that you’d be better off in my watch over you. Martha you are precious….” Before she got a chance to wonder at his statement, he started leading her outside his cabin.
        The whole clinic was dark, save for his cabin. He switched off the lights, held her arm and ushered her outside. As the cold draught of air hit her, she realized that she had not carried a sweater along with her. As she hugged her arms tightly against her body, Dr. Hussey quickly removed his tweed coat and put it around her shoulders. It was warm with the heat of his body. She felt warm and protected. Cozy and safe. She suddenly realized that her stomach was rumbling with great hunger.
        As if guessing her thoughts, Dr. Hussey stopped his car near a Café. It was the same one where she had had lunch earlier that day. The waitress looked at both of them and then her eyes widened in surprise as she recognized Martha, who had generously tipped her that afternoon. “Welcome again Madam. What can I get for both of you?” she asked eagerly after they were seated comfortably at a corner table and perused the menu card. Dr. Hussey smiled at Martha and asked her “What will you have, Martha?” Like a small child, she said, “Anything will do right now, Doctor. I’m ravenously hungry.” He laughed good-naturedly and ordered for both of them. “A grilled steak, brown bread, salad and later ice-cream, please.”
         When their order arrived, piping hot, both of them hungrily tucked into it. Neither of them spoke as if by an unspoken agreement. As they waited for their dessert to arrive, Martha broke the silence by saying, “I’m very grateful to you doctor. Forgive me for being rude to you at the clinic. I was distraught and felt that you were enjoying my discomfiture. I see how wrong I was! You’re very kind and I don’t really deserve your kindness.”
         She bit her lip nervously as she looked at the Doctor with luminous blue eyes that shone in the light of the soft lights that were part of the splendid décor of that elegant café. Dr. Hussey gazed at her transfixed and wondered whether he was falling in love with his beautiful patient. 

To be continued.... 

The copyright of this novel is with Mrs. Priya Ramesh Swaminathan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please send constructive feedback only.