Wednesday 29 July 2015

A Suitor for the Princess - Chapter 28



         His reverie was broken by the sound of a tray being placed gently on the coffee-table and the click of cups, then the sound of tea being poured into them.  When Martha handed him a cup, he could see that she had a very odd look on her face.  As if she was struggling with an inner demon that wanted to be set free!
        “Feel free to tell me what’s troubling you Martha.  I can see that you are desperate for a confidante.”
        “Well, let’s finish our tea and snacks first.  Then I’ll tell you,” she said simply.  They had their tea and cup-cakes in utter silence, with only the chirping of the birds and the sounds of the crickets breaking the silence that hung like a shroud over them.  Arnold felt uneasy.  There was an unnerving eeriness in the setting that spooked him.
        After they had finished their tea, Martha settled down on a couch near the fire-place, beckoned him to occupy the couch opposite hers, and started talking.  “Arnold, I’m afraid that I may be losing my memory.  I’ve read a lot about amnesia and short-term memory loss, when I was researching for an article on that topic.  Unfortunately, I find myself in the same helpless state now, as those who suffer from these disorders.  I’m also bewildered that this disorder that apparently, usually starts at advanced ages; has already started affecting me.  I am not yet 50 and here I am, perpetually at a loss about figuring out whether I’m an author, who is Norman and even forgetting about my current bearings.”
        “When Norman called me up yesterday and reminded me about spending an overseas vacation with him in Shanghai and attending a writers’ conference there, I was shocked.  I still am, as I can’t recollect a thing!  Besides, he told me that he had presented me with a broach and I still couldn’t remember the occasion.  But I’m sure that he was right as I do have a beautiful brooch which matches his description; in my closet’s drawer.  Why I don’t recollect it, beats me!  Could I be losing my memory, Arnold?”
        “You remember how shocked you were when I mistook you for Norman?  In fact, I still don’t know him.  I’d be grateful if you could give me a picture of his!  I really think that I should be seeing a psychiatrist!  What do you think?  Will you come with me for a consultation?  Do you know of any good one, a psychiatrist, I mean, so that we can go there at the earliest? ”
        “I’m very anxious and apprehensive about the future.  Please help me Arnold!  I’ll be eternally grateful to you.” As she spoke, she started sobbing softly.  She started rubbing the corners of her beautiful eyes, from where the tears streamed down steadily.
       Arnold felt awkward.  He wanted to comfort her, so he got up and went next to her.  He pulled his couch closer to hers and put his arms around her and slightly pressed her shoulders to pacify her and said in a soothing, placatory tone, “Please don’t cry Martha. I’ll help you as much as I can.  I’m sure that this is just a passing phase and you’ll soon be fine.  May be you are too stressed out and over-worked.  Try to cut down on your writing and…..”
        She interrupted him with a startled, “I can’t Arnold.  I love writing and as you know, that’s the only thing that keeps me going.  I can’t live without it!”
        “Martha, just listen to me fully, for God’s sake!  I’m not asking you to give up your life-blood, but only asking you to take a well-deserved break and get your mind out of it for a while!  May be you could spend some hours at Norman’s office everyday, for a change.  By the way, he has asked me to request you on his behalf to do so.  He feels that you could be a boon for his office in his absence!”
        As Martha’s thoughts wandered to Norman’s secretary, she became depressed again.  Oh no, she didn’t want to face that lady again!  As she remembered her encounter with her in detail, she marveled at the clarity of her memory.  Well, all was not lost yet!  Her memory hadn’t abandoned her completely!”
         “First and foremost, we have to go to some psychiatrist!” she emphasized, as he nodded his assent. “Right then, let me find out about someone really dependable to counsel you and then I’ll let you know. I really think that I should be making a move now. My wife will be worried as it’s quite late. I’ll keep in touch and….”
               Martha had gripped his arm and was sobbing. “Please, can’t you stay here for the night? I desperately need some company. Let’s just chat so that I can feel happy, at least for a while!” she implored. With lots of tact, Arnold gently pulled away from her grasp and said firmly, “I must leave now. See you soon.” Without a backward glance, he quickly walked out of the cottage into the dark and cold night.”
             Phew! That had been close! He had wanted to stay back with her. He had been tempted by the warmth of her touch and her vulnerability. He was loath to admit that he found Martha extremely desirable. He had always liked women who liked to lean on him for support. It gave him a high! He felt on top of the world. Very manly!
            But he couldn’t betray Norman, right? And fall in Martha’s esteem the next day, as one who had crossed the limits of decency and breached her implicit trust in him as a close friend. He would have had to face the hurricane, his wife’s wrath too. He sighed as started the ignition, waved at Martha who was soulfully looking at him from the porch, and zoomed away.
            Martha kept looking at the receding car till she could only see darkness. Then she switched off the light on the porch and made her way wearily into her cottage, dressed for the night and curled on her bed for a long and restless night. Yes, she was lonely. She needed human company. She’d consider Norman’s suggestion seriously, was her last thought as a disturbed sleep took over.

To be continued.... 

The copyright of this story is with Mrs. Priya Ramesh Swaminathan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please send constructive feedback only.