Tuesday 19 May 2015

A Suitor for the Princess - Chapter 18



                          For a long time Martha cried and cried, hysterically. As her cottage was in an isolated dead-end, no one heard her piteous sobs. Then she heard the incessant ringing of the telephone. She wiped her tears and reached out for the receiver. It must be Norman, she thought through her gut-wrenching agony. “Hello!” She said feebly, with a half-sob. “Martha, what’s up? Why are you crying, my dear?” Norman’s voice boomed down the line. “I, uh, it’s nothing really!” she said sheepishly, realizing that she had been crying as she had substituted herself for her heroine, Sara. Norman would be definitely put off by her stupid behavior. Hence she concocted a small lie. “Norman, I’ve been missing you so much. I was just crying because I couldn’t bear not having you by my side…”
                                Intuitively, Norman guessed that she was lying. He knew that she was not a compulsive liar. Hence she hadn’t been able to lie convincingly to him. He even guessed that it was that stupid story of hers that had been the cause of her misery. He threw up his hand in frustration and rolled his eyes, almost laughing, but just checked himself in time before he said indulgently, “Oh, I’m so sorry, Darling, I should’ve phoned you earlier! It has been 48 hours since we’ve been apart. I’ll be back in a couple of days and make up for the lost time, I promise!”
                                Martha could almost see the twinkle in his eyes and laughed aloud. She already felt much better. Yes, Norman was her stress-buster. How she longed to fly into the safe haven of his muscular arms and bury her head between his broad shoulders! She blushed furiously and was relieved that he wasn’t around to pull her leg on seeing her face turn a bright red. She said softly into the receiver “I love you, Norman. I miss you all the time. Come soon. By the way, how’s Nancy? I hope you haven’t told her anything about me! Please don’t, because it will not do her any good. I hope you understand what I mean!”
                               “No, I won’t, my sweet little Martha, but only if you promise not to mope around in that lonely cottage of yours. Why don’t you go out and get some fresh air? Then remembering that last time when she had swooned in his arms in the woods, he quickly added, “Please could you go to my office in town and see what’s happening there? Maybe you could chat with my secretary, Dorothy and find out how she’s coping in my absence and whether she needs any help. Knowing her, she’ll not even dream about disturbing me even in an emergency! Don’t tell her that I’d called, just act as if you were passing by and had casually dropped in to say “Hello”!”
                                    Thankful about having something else to do, apart from writing her agonizing novel, she hastily agreed. He hung up after saying naughtily, “Please wait till I come back to let me show how much I love you!” She was blushing again….
                                   After a quick shower, she dressed in a bright dress patterned with big yellow flowers, pulled on a smart matching hat and accessories, locked the door to her cottage and was soon on her way to town, in her quaint little Bentley car. She had decided to make her weekly purchases as well, so as to really utilize her trip. She was running short of supplies. Then she remembered how well-stocked that hut in the Kingdom of Regina was! Full marks to the persons in charge! But before she got carried away and entered her novel’s setting, she consciously pulled her thoughts from there and nodded her head from one side to the other. Regina went away and she reached the town.
                                She proceeded to the super-market where she got all that she needed for a month, then after dumping her shopping bags into her car, had a cool drink at a café nearby. She could feel the appreciative stares of some men who were seated in the café. She felt happy and contented. She ordered for some light snacks and relished them as she made small-talk with the waitress who knew her as a regular visitor. After about half an hour, refreshed, she made her way to Norman’s office.
                               This was the first time that she was visiting his office after discovering that they loved each other. She experienced a flush of affection and pleasure. Even she, with her vivid imagination had never ever realized that this office would once be shared by herself and Norman, the publisher! Why, she had never even seen him in that light at all! Maybe she had been too full of her stories and he had been too full of his work! She’d rib him about that when they met next. She eagerly looked forward to that exchange!
                               Dorothy was surprised to have her as a visitor and delightedly exclaimed, “Martha, was a pleasant surprise! What brings you here? I’m sure that Norman must’ve informed you about the emergency! I’m sure that none of your cheques are pending.”
                             Martha laughed and said, ”Can’t I come to visit a friend?” “Yes, of course, Madam. My pleasure! What will you have? By the way, since it is almost lunch-time, would you care to come and have lunch with me in that café down the street?”
                             Apologetically Martha said, “But I’ve just had some snacks and am too full! I’ll just give you company as you eat and we can chat, if that’s O.K. with you.”
                             Dorothy readily agreed and started putting on her hat and coat. Even in her slim business suit, she looked smart and efficient. Beautiful too! Martha thought with a pang of sudden envy, as she ruefully looked at her own plump frame.
                             Both of them presented a stark contrast as they made their way down the street. Martha was plump and gaily dressed while Dorothy was slim and elegantly dressed in her formal suit. Martha spoke effusively about trivial matters while Dorothy was pleasant but guarded in her remarks. As she ate silently, Martha sensed that Dorothy had been behaving in a slightly reserved manner. Maybe she thought about her as “The great writer Martha” and not like a friend. Maybe she didn’t want to put her foot in her mouth, hence spoke little. 

To be continued.... 

The copyright of this novel is with Mrs. Priya Ramesh Swaminathan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please send constructive feedback only.